Week 7 of GSOC done!
This week, I did a lot, well, as per my expectations at least. I tried to make up for the less time I had spent on GSOC last week. Alright, so, let’s look at the TODO:
Last Week’s TODO:
- Organize the webinterface git repo for git submodule support (Need to discuss on the list first): DONE
- Try and get a live CloudSync app-engine app working on some live data (ready for use ): WIP (Well, I couldn’t push it to the App Engine as it had problems authenticating on Linux x64 with Eclipse 32-bit. I’ve asked Vettukal to deploy it though, so, WIP since it’s done, I’ll update when it’s done :))
- Properly design the web interface for OI Shopping List (Don’t know if we will support it or not, but it won’t hurt to plan ahead a little): DONE
- And some more, stay tuned!
Now, going into more details….
I chose this approach as it makes it easy to add new applications, easy to manage existing ones and the code looks much much cleaner!
To display an application in the interface it has to register itself with the interface by calling the ‘addApplication()’ function and passing some parameters. The scripts of the application and the stylesheet is automatically added to the interface by the main scripts file. Right now, it needs improvement but it works well.
A cool thing about jQuery is that it allows triggers which are superb for this kind of a modular scenario. So, the interface can ‘trigger’ events which the applications can respond to, for example refreshing of a page etc.
Organizing the Repository
Next up, I decided to organize the repository so that it can be used properly as a git submodule. I removed the WebInterfaceTest folder which had a pre-alpha interface for testing that I made very early when the development started, it was now obsolete though.
I also moved all the contents of theWebInterface folder, one level up to the root of the repository.
Live CloudSync App-Engine Testing
I tested the app-engine project of Vettukal, made some changes, integrated the interface with it (something I did last week) and it worked flawlessly. Vettukal was nice enough to grant me developer access to the app-engine
But I had a bunch of problems deploying the app to the App-Engine, the major problem was I couldn’t authenticate with Google as it didn’t show any authentication dialog or opened up a browser window. Then I found out that there was a bug with Eclipse 32-bit on Linux x64 so I asked Vettukal to deploy it for me today. I’ll update you guys when it’s done As for the bug, I believe cleaning up my Eclipse or reinstalling may fix it but I didn’t have much time to do it and I don’t want to break anything
Design a Web Interface for OI Shopping List
OK, this was difficult. OI Shopping List is a complex app (as far as I understand) and it has a lot of different options for the user to give like the quantity / price of the item. It was a challenge implementing it as a web interface since a web browser has it’s limitations. So I stuck with the tried and tested, tabular approach which displays everything neatly in a table. Here’s a screenshot:
If only you could buy brains with money
Well, moving on….
Icons for OI WiFi Server and OI Cloud Sync Server
I also designed icons for OI WiFi Server and OI Cloud Sync Server. Here are the two:
There’s a discussion going on here about the icons, feel free to participate or leave a comment down below
UPDATE: OI Cloud Sync Landing Page
OK, I forgot to add this before. But here’s it now. I also made a landing page for OI Cloud Sync’s app-engine. It’s not much as of now, but it contains a login button and right now only some text telling what OI Cloud Sync can do. I’ll be adding slideshows as well to make it look more good. Here’s a screenshot:
All of the changes can be found in my own repository github.com/gastly
Next Week’s TODO
This is if I pass the mid-term evaluation this week lol
- Improve upon the OI Shopping List interface
- Add some more API and functionality for modules
- Fix bugs in the interface
- Clean up code