As I mentioned previously in my Unity in KDE post, the Icon Tasks widget for KDE is helluva useful. For those who don’t know, it’s a simple task manager widget, a modified version of the default task manager widget that only shows icons instead of the whole application name / title in the panel.
It’s much like Unity’s launcher and it even uses it’s API afaik. Icon Tasks is pretty darn configurable and heck it even shows a small progress-bar as an overlay on the application icon (I’ve only tested with Dolphin) if a file transfer is going on. It also shows unread mail count in Thunderbird and supports window previews. What else do you want?
Here’s a complete feature list as given by the author:
Modified version of KDE 4.7 taskbar applet and taskmanager library.
- Show only icons (no text) in taskbar.
- When a launcher is activated, place the task’s taskbar entry at the same location as the launcher.
- Tasks with no associated launcher, are placed after launcher tasks (unless alphabetically sorted).
- Always group tasks.
- Only allow launchers for items with .desktop files
- Add a dialog to manually set the association from a window to a .desktop file – so that launcher can be created.
- Add option to activate/iconify whole group when left button is pressed (taken from SmoothTasks). If disabled, then present windows is used for the group.
- Use oxygen ‘+’ icon to indicate a collpased group.
- Use middle button to launch new instance of a task.
- Attempt to place start-up spinner over launcher/task.
- Add option to always use the launcher icon for taskbar entry – even when app is active. This works-around the issue where some applications (e.g. LibreOffice) have a different launcher/menu icon than the actual app uses.
- Workaround an issue with a tasks attention state.
- More tasks shown in tooltips.
- Close tasks via tooltips.
- Show right-click menu for task in tooltips.
- Option to show job progress over task icon.
- DockManager API support
- Media player buttons in tooltips
- Unity API
*Install: *To install Icon Tasks, add my ppa with this command:
[plain]sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bkandiyal/bhaskar-main[/plain]
And then install plasma-widget-icontasks after doing an apt-get update
*Note: *I’d be posting a few short (hopefully) posts on KDE / Kubuntu. This is one of them, and the previous one Unity in KDE. So, if you have anything that I should talk about then feel free to email me or use the Contact form.